iPod 5G Headphone Output Capless MOD
iPod video 5/5.5th uses WM8758B as DAC and headphone output. Rockbox can be configured to enable WM8758B’s capless headphone features, with this mod, you will get the purist sound that is possible with this Wolfson chip. The trade off: about 3db degradation in S/N. The dock line-out will no longer functional, however, you can use the headphone jack as balanced line-out, with proper cabling & grounding.
If you want the dock pin line_out untouched, check this output swap mod. Notice that firmware setup are different thus they are not compatible, neither mod will work the stock Apple firmware or original Rockbox firmware.
iPhD How To
First, download and install modified Rockbox firmware., this will enable the capless headphone output mod on your ipod.
- Dissamble iPod and Logic board before the MOD:
- Remove the two Z caps(original lineout coupling capacitor) connected to R_Lout and L_Lout.
- Remove all four coupling capacitors, C140, C150, C145, C146.
- Cut the headphone jack FPC cable along the green line.
- Cut one notch on metal frame, another notch on the face plate as marked in black, to allow HP_COM wire to pass through.
- Connect HP_COM on the headphone jack to the original R_Lout, L_Lout.
- Connect HP_Right, HP_Left to the corresponding headphone jack pins.
- After mod:
- Notice the added 47uf capacitor between AVDD2 & AGND. The will vastly improve the audio quality. The soldering pads are tiny so the following picture illustrates a few soldering locations of choice, AGND marked in Green, AVDD marked in pink.